Flex PCB

Hans Hintermaier HIHA at GNF99M.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Sep 26 08:51:32 GMT 1996

Talltom Wrote:
>    One thing I've never seen is the failure of the printed circuits on the
>what appears to be some type of mylar used in many dash assembly's.
>Anybody know what the material is? And the difference in expansion rate
>between it and copper? I'm guessing that either the
>expansion rate is similar or copper ....

Hi Tom,
I once worked as camera service technician at Olympus and Konica,
they only use in their modern compact cameras flexible PCB's.
The material was Polycarbonat, painted with an extremly durable,
transparent gloss, maybe Polyurethan based, which stabilized the PCB
a lot. Plastics expand generally much more than metals (I think)
There were nearly no failures caused by cracked traces in those 4 years
 I was working there.
Regards
Hans
hiha@ brain.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de