Chip operating temperatures

Intec Inoventures Inc. iii at islandnet.com
Thu Sep 26 13:23:55 GMT 1996

>                                       ...The 68332 chips bought in the
>group pcb buy were rated 0 deg C to 70 deg C (32 deg F to 158 deg F).  I'm
sure
>these are ok for prototypes, but is anyone concerned about them lasting 50-100
>k miles in a real environment ?

You may want to check the specs on the 68332.  According to my book, the
MC68332FC is rated for -40C to +85C.

While a car left in the hot sun can do serious damage to poor Fido (rated at
0 to 40C) locked inside, it is unlikely to get up to +85C.  However, less
than -40C in North Overshoe, Saskatchewan is not unlikely.  And when you go
to start it up in the morning, the interior is probably colder than the
engine compartment.

Incidentally, vinyl coated automotive wire from Wal-Mart or the likes, is
rated up to 75C.  It is darned tough getting flexible wire with a higher
temperature rating, short of going to fiberglass insulated oven wire.

Bob Furber

    MC68HC16 Embedded Controllers and Software Development Tools    |
              WebPg   http://www.islandnet.com/~iii                 |
Intec Inoventures Inc.       Phone   604-721-5150                   |
2751 Arbutus Road            Fax         721-4191                   |
Victoria   BC  V8N 5X7                                              |
Canada                                                              |