Wires and such

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 26 20:08:02 GMT 1996

>Hi,
>
>> Incidentally, vinyl coated automotive wire from Wal-Mart or the likes, is
>> rated up to 75C.  It is darned tough getting flexible wire with a higher
>> temperature rating, short of going to fiberglass insulated oven wire.
>
>Silicon Rubber and Teflon coated wires are also an alternative.
>
>Your local airfield may have a workshop you could call and ask where they
>buy their engine compartment wires.  The aircraft stuff is overengineered
>on top of over specked.  The wires also usually have a second insulation
>layer for mechaniocal protection.

Buy your wire from Newark, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.  I'd stay away from
the wire from auto parts houses and Wal-Mart -- unless I needed it
that instant.  I'd also buy from any of the above before I'd buy from
Rat-Shack.  [ Rat-Shack's wire, like the rest of their stuff, is
the cheapest construction possible: lo-temp insulation, large strands
(makes it less flexible than wire with more but smaller strands),
and is not plated (bare copper will oxidize, even up under the
insulation).]

The catalogs will list the temp rating of the insulation (generally,
the higher the temp, the stiffer it is).  Be sure the wire is plated
and get the highest/smallest number of strands so it'll be flexible.
** Don't ** use solid wire !!!  It'll break.  Don't drape the wire
across exhaust manifolds, exhaust crossovers, EGR, etc.  Cover the
ends with heat shrink or such to keep crud from wicking up under the
insulation into the wire.

Really ought to avoid crimp connectors.  Should solder all connections.
If you want to use the crimp connectors, buy a quality grade that will
take solder.  Then you can solder them if you want to (many crimp
"fast-on" connectors won't take solder, if they look sorta chrome or
shiny, they probably won't solder.  If a magnet will attract them, they
probably won't take solder.  If they have a dull, solder-looking sheen
to them, and/or are non-magnetic (i.e. made of copper) they'll probably
solder.  Note that the magnetic ones (i.e. steel) will eventually corrode
and rust.