Wires and such

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 27 16:40:04 GMT 1996

        [ snip ]

>> Really ought to avoid crimp connectors.  Should solder all connections.
>
>Have to draw the line here. In aircraft, which usually have higher
>vibration levels than cars and electrical failures are _much_
>more serious, crimped connections are the norm. The problem with
>soldered connections is the narrow trasition point from solder to
>free strands. At that point, the wire can't flex very well, so
>vibration tends to crack the strands. The point with crimp connectors
>is to use high quality connectors (like Amp) and a good crimping
>tool.
>
>---
>David Parrish
>Don't ask how much it
>costs to wire an airplane...

Okay, you said it, but did anyone get it?? If you're gonna crimp -- and
want it to be reliable -- hafta use the right tool!!  Trust me, it's
not the Champ or Klein you gots in your tool box.  A good tool that
works on most crimp-ons costs between $35 and $50.  Snap-ON sells one
(Forget who really makes it).