EEC IV reprogramming

atsakiri at ford.com atsakiri at ford.com
Mon Sep 30 12:52:31 GMT 1996

Snipets ...

> >>    "you'll see that ford does not use the CPU as it was designed (to be
> >>    used?)   . . . they waste so much CPU it's pitiful"
> >>

> Having spent from 1986 to 1994 full-time consulting to Ford (both in
> Europe for FOB and in the U.S. for NAAO) on EEC-iv/EEC-v design and
> programming, I'd be genuinely interested to hear the basis for those
> comments.

Part of the basis for those comments might be the original writer's
past experience working for Ford, in Dearborn, Michigan.  I recognize
the writer's name as working in the same department I once worked in.

No comment as to whether I agree or disagree with the writer's
characterization of CPU usage.

> >>i'm betting he's refering to the fact that the CPU is just looking up a
> >>bunch of tables. (remember superchips .. just tables no code)
> >>the cpu only has to look up injector "on time" and SPOUT "phase shift"
> >>for any certain rpm, mass air, and engine temperature and its job is
> >>done.  add on a few more bells and whistles and its done.  A real
> >>programmer would use the CPU to "compute" these outputs not look them up.
>
> I'll deliberately pass on the "real-programmer" comment, suffice to
> say that I'd love to see the algorythm that could calculate
> required/optimium Spark Advance under all conditions to enable the
> engine to meet its operating criteria of power, driveability and
> most importantly emissions given the input data available to an
> EEC, i.e. CPS timing data, engine temperature, air-charge
> temperature, throttle position, EGO data and Cylinder-ID to name
> the significant ones. It's (relatively) easy to determine/calculate
> the spark required for optimium power, but the compromises made to
> meet emissions and driveability makes it a whole new ball game.

I'd like to see such an algorithm too, then I'd like to see it run
on a computer that can be affordably packaged in a car or truck.

> >From my understanding of [   ] box, you can map out the internal
> PROM and use external memory which would let you run any
> program/calibration you wanted (and had copies of) in an EEC.
> I'd guess you'd need a permanent piggy-back type board with an
> EPROM and address decoder PAL on it (a la Super-Chips) to make
> permanent changes tho'.......
>
> I for one would be interested to hear more about these boxes,
> especially if they're to become commercially available. I could
> find a good use for one !

As I recall, Ford has some discussions about that too.  I don't
know how the situation was concluded, but you might want to check
on the legal restrictions in general and the legal status in
particular.

Anthony Tsakiris

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.