Combustion chamber & twin plugs

Robert Fridman fridman at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Mon Sep 30 21:04:14 GMT 1996

> > >Someone dicussed (in this group) using microwaves to simultaneously cause all
> > Is exploding all that stuff at the same instant a good idea?
>
> If I understand this correctly, having two flame fronts colide (preignition)
> is a BAD idea. But if it all goes off at the same time, it's OK (think of it
> as a *very* fast burning fuel). Probably won't need as much advance.

Having 2 flame fronts does not seem to be so bad.  On some engines
(BMW Boxer  pushrod motorcycle engines), having 2 flame fronts reduces
burn time to such an extent, that raising the compression (8.5:1 to
9.5:1) and reducing the octane (from super to regular) is possible.
The mixture can be leaned out as well.

I would guess that the twin flame fronts burn the mixture inside the
ignition lag time, so detonation is avoided.

Does anyone have any references to any work dealing with multiple
spark plugs per cylinder?

	RF.

83 R100			DoD 749			Robert Fridman
84 320i						fridman at cpsc.ucalgary.ca