MPI and sequential injection

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Tue Apr 1 16:18:58 GMT 1997

> Question: A friend has a '86 oldsmobile royal with a 3.8L (sequential
>  injection, I think). He blew the motor and purchased a 3.0L '86 olds or
>  buick engine instead, by mistake. Were all 3.8L engines sequential for
this
>  year and were all 3.0L just PFI?

According to the Chilton Manual I have, all of the 3.8L in 1986 are of the
sequential injection variety, VIN code C, unless they were supercharged, then
they are MFI, VIN code 3.  This is the identical engine that I have... VIN
code C.

1986:
R   2.5L   4cy   TBI
W  2.8L   6cy   MFI (High output)
X   2.8L   6cy   2BC
3   3.8L   6cy    MFI
B   3.8L   6cy    MFI

(on the Buicks of that year the 3.8L were Sequential)

The 3.0 was not in any of the olds during 1986, according to the Chilton
Chart I have. And no, I have the book right side up :)  I think I've seen
them though before I got the LeSabre, but then again, all the GM cars look
the same to me.  I thought my LeSabre was something else (though it was
mis-labeled) before it was confirmed it was a LeSabre.

>  Did they use the same ECM, just different proms?

Yep.  The ECM for the 3.8L should be #1227148, with the "CLA 0570" Eprom.
 This is the same ECM used for the Buick GN.

>  Correct me if im wrong.

Honestly, I don't know.  The Chilton's book I have just says "ECM", with no
part numbers.

>  with no success. He simply cut and spliced the colors that seemed to match
>  the closest :()

I hate to say this, but what an asshole :)

Fred