Power Supplys Attempt (2)

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 3 19:03:42 GMT 1997

>> BEWARE of *anything* you get from RatShack!!!  I recommend some
>>  of their literature to my students -- I teach power supply design
>>  and their book on power supplies is good for the beginner to
>
>Wow, that was a slam LOL.  I actually liked their book, and as you said,

not a slam.  to quote from an old TV show, "no brag, just fact".
Well that's no slam, just fact.  I tell my students in electronics
to "beware".  That doesn't mean stay away.  Unfortunately, their
target market is those least able to distinguish and to choose
wisely.  When I buy something there I don't expect much so I
won't be disappointed.  I've bought lots of their computers,
meters, books and parts.  Most of it has served me well ....
but not as well as good quality stuff.  Too often, though, I've
gotten plain junk (I've actually bought nuts and screws there that
were threaded wrong!).  They're not known for quality!

What are you experienced in?  Tools?  Then look at the
quality of the tools they sell and extrapolate to everything
else.  Same for the books.  There's a few good ones (the
little beginner series by Forrest Mimms is great), but most
are crap.  I can't tell you how many students over the years
have ignored my warnings about buying soldering irons there.
I've got a large box full of their soldering irons left
by students that -- once they learned how to solder, and
with good equipment -- tossed them aside.  Their market
is selling electronics stuff to people that don't know
anything about it.  I don't dislike them.  Why am I telling
you this, I don't know whether I like you or not!!!  I
guess I just can't help myself ..... someone puleeze
come and pry me away from this thing !!!

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>