Some ALDL questions

Mark Glicksman mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Mon Apr 7 01:43:49 GMT 1997

Hello eyeryone,

	Well, I have been reading over the archives on ALDL data, and I have a
couple of questions that some of you guys may be able to help me with (I
hope ;) ).

1) I have been looking at the following diagram........

>               +-------------+  +
>   +-----------|1          16|---+---o +5V (VCC)
>  +|          +|             |  ===
>  === +5V o-||-|2  MAX232  15|---+---o GND (card & RS-232)
>   |           |             |
>   +-----------|3          14|
>            +  |             |        o +5V
>      +---||---|4          13|        |
>      |        |             |        \
>      +--------|5          12|        / 10K
>           +   |             |        \
>      GND o-||-|6          11|        /
>               |             |        |
>      RxD o----|7  ---<--- 10|--/\/\/-+----------+----o ALDL I/O
>               |             |  10K         |\   |
>      TxD o----|8  --->---  9|--------------| |--+
>               +-------------+             1|/ 2
>                                           74LS07
>
>        (also connect to 74LS07, pin 7=GND, pin 14=VCC)

I believe this diagram was submitted by George M. Daily.

I noticed that  by pins 2, 4, 6, and between pins 15 & 16, there are
capacitors shown, however, there are no values associated with these
capacitors, does anyone know what the values of them are?

2) Has anyone actually built this circuit/cable and tried it???

3) Does it work with the 160baud CCC and the 8192baud P4 computers?

4) What does the data output look like after it comes through?

I am trying to build this so that I may diagnose my 1987 Buick Park
Avenue. (Picked it up for $550.00)  Unfortunately I don't have enough
money to afford the Diacom package.

			Very truly yours,
			Mark Glicksman
			mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us