GM Supercharged V6 EFI...?

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 13:50:55 GMT 1997

> Not really an "EFI" question per se, but I'm wondering if anyone knows
>  what mods have to be done to the efi system to change a GM 3.8 v6 from
>  naturally aspirated to supercharged?
>
>  Please reply to me (The group doesn't need to be clogged with this)
>  Even a pointer to a web page would be appreciated.

What you need to do is write an email to "EFIPERFORM at aol.com, which is David
Buckshaw.  I spent a while on the phone with him last week, super, super guy.
 I have a 1985 3.8L V^6 from a FWD Buick LeSabre, which you theoretically
could supercharge.  The GM supercharger intake manifold, while it bolts on
easily enough, doesn't cut it and causes the engine to run like crap.  This
is because the exhaust ports don't line up right and have a very restrictive
exhaust flow.  Even though Dave and I discussed my many turbo options, I
don't see why a supercharger my Paxton (for example) with 6-7 PSI of boost
wouldn't cut it to accomplish the same thing, minimizing turbo lag.

You *must* get the wiring harness for your engine, and mate it to the ECM
1227148, which is the standard 3.8L ECM for the 80's.  The chip you have in
there has to go bye-bye, and replace it with the GM Grand National 3.8L chip,
based on Dave's advice.  This allows 6-7 PSI of turbo boost as well as
possibly using a Paxton or other aftermarket supercharger.

If you call him, feel free to drop my name that I highly recommended him. :)

Frederic Breitwieser
http://members.aol.com/fjb203/index.htm
HomeBrew-Autos Mailing List
Bridgeport, CT