What do I gain/lose with Meth/M85?

Thor Johnson johnsont at falcon.cs.mercer.edu
Wed Apr 9 17:24:54 GMT 1997

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Matthew Beaubien wrote:

> Thor,
>
> You may gain some power and you may lose some ringlands, bearings, etc.
> Methanol is more likely to pre-ignite than gasoline due to a lower surface
> ignition temperature. What this means is that any hotspots will cause
> knock easier when burning methanol.
>
> For safety's sake, I'd put in a colder plug and back off the timing a
> couple degrees when running a methanol enriched mixture.

> Is this a turbo engine that you're working with?

  Nope, just a normally (well, through a 20mm restrictor) aspiriated
engine.  I switched to M85 so that I could use some Toyota fuel injectors
that were donated (20lb/hr).

> As far as power goes, you'll gain ~8% running a straight M85 mixture vs
> pump gas. So by running say 10% M85, you could expect about a 1% increase
> in power.

Unfortunately, we'll have to use M85 or gas (no mixes).  Actually,  the
more Meth I use, the better engine control I have (pesky large injectors)

                Thor Johnson
          johnsont at falcon.cs.mercer.edu
     http://falcon.cs.mercer.edu/~johnsont

         Have you seen the WarpMap lately?