Software tools for PGM-FI or Mazda Miata ECU

Chuck Simmons csimmons at gtdev.com
Thu Apr 10 00:12:27 GMT 1997

Hello to all EFI-DIY people.

I have been monitoring the list for some time now.  I think its time for
a question.

Recently I have seen postings about software tools to re-map GM and
Motronic ECU's.  I am wondering if anyone has developed tools for the
ECU in the Mazda Miata (Nipondenso???) or the Honda PGM-FI (My
application is the 1992 VTEC Civic SI, single OHC USA model).

I also wish to build a Coil-on-Plug ignition system for the Miata.
Although the stock system is a distributorless system,  its performance
is marginal.  If the spark plug wires are not in perfect shape the
system tends to missfire at high power.  It would be nice to just get
rid of the wires.  Has anyone out there built such a system?  If so what
coils did you use and what did you drive them with?

Thanks,

Chuck Simmons
1990 Mazda Miata