Some ALDL questions

Mark Glicksman mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Sat Apr 12 02:17:10 GMT 1997

Scott Feaver wrote:

> At 04:17 PM 4/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 97-04-09 03:25:39 EDT, you write:
> >
> >> Thanks for the diagram.  I was just sent another diagram also.  Yours
> >>  has  1uf capacitors on the diagram.  The other diagram I have came from
> >>  Vance.  Hopefully I will have this built in the next couple of weeks and
> >>  some software to get the raw data a few weeks after that.  BTW - Do you
> >>  know of any other web sights that have more information.  Also do you
> >>  have any software that you have developed or used that I could try.
> >
> >Here are four URL's Mike, right from my "Favorites" in my MSIE browser.  One
> >of them, not sure which one, is almost an exact duplicate of the ALDL info
> >codes I posted on my website, as I leached it from there <G>.  Hope they help
> >you out.
> >
> >     http://iceonline.com/home/markp/chevrole/chevrole.htm
> >     http://ni.umd.edu/gnttype/www/malf.html
> >     http://science.smsu.edu/~lin/ecm-codes.html
> >     http://www.itech.cup.edu/~wblick/plug.html#over
> >
> >My experience with ALDL has been more from a learning point of view...
> >haven't actually gotten any code.  I made the interface as depicted on my
> >website, and tested it in an isolated fashion, and it seems okay.  Attached
> >it to my PC, but haven't gotten any codes from the GM 3.8L engine in the
> >garage, since I don't have a terminal software package that goes down to 160
> >baud.  What I planned on doing towards the end of the summer once I have a
> >basic frame under construction, was to try and write a simple terminal
> >program in C to read the serial port.  If this doesn't work, I have a neat
> >U-ART sitting in my basement (finding it is going to be a pleasure!) that can
> >adapt to almost any baud depending on the clock I drive it with.  Something
> >like 160 baud should be incredibly easy to emulate.
>
> The newer P4 ECMs (from 87 on to around 94) run at 8192 baud.
>
> Its the old C3s that run at 160.  Your Regal's 3800 will have the P4.
>
> Scott

Hey Scott,

	Actually, according to the Buick Service manual I have, the following
should be true

All of these buick engines are from 1987

Body  Engine Vin  Carb/xFI  Engine Size  Computer
----  ----------  --------  -----------  --------
G     Vin "A"     Carb      3.8L         CCC
B&G   Vin "Y"     Carb      5.0L         CCC
G     Vin "9"     Carb      5.0L         CCC
A     Vin "A"     TBI       2.5L         P4
J     Vin "1"     TBI       2.0L         P4
J     Vin "K"     TBI       2.0L         P4
N     Vin "N"     TBI       2.5L         P4
J     Vin "M"     PBI       2.0L-Turbo   P4
A     Vin "W"     PBI       2.8L         P4
N     Vin "L"     PBI       3.0L         CCC
A,C,H Vin "3"     PBI       3.8L         CCC
G     Vin "7"     PBI       3.8L-Turbo   CCC
E     Vin "3"     PBI       3.8L         P4

Key
---

Series   Car
------   ---
   J     Skyhawk
   N     Skylark/Somerset
   A     Century
   G     Regal
   H     Le Sabre
   B     Estate Wagon
   C     Electra
   E     Riveria

What I'm trying to get at is that this was a transistion year.  I'm not
sure however if 1985-1986 or 1988-1989 have similar circumstances.

Hopefully once I get this working I will have a chance to start raiding
all of my friends (and any enimies cars that I can sneak into for spite
- heh heh, just kidding :)  ) ALDL connectors and be able to decipher
the various data that comes from their cars.

			VTY
			Mark Glicksman
			mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us