M85 vs Gas

Thor Johnson johnsont at falcon.cs.mercer.edu
Sat Apr 12 21:48:56 GMT 1997

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Matthew Beaubien wrote:

> Thor,
>
> >   Nope, just a normally (well, through a 20mm restrictor) aspiriated
> > engine.  I switched to M85 so that I could use some Toyota fuel injectors
> > that were donated (20lb/hr).
>
> Formula SAE I presume? Choosing M85 on the basis of cheap injectors
> probably isn't the best reasoning. Methanol is very corrosive and will eat
> most injectors, as well as lines, pumps, etc. So, what you may save in
> injector costs will be eaten up by other costs, plus the fact that you'll
> have to replace your injectors after not too long.

  The main reason I chose it was that I couldn't seem to find injectors
small enough to handle gas (multiport sequential).  As for adverse
effects, the VW rabbit pump/system seems to be handling it well except
that I am having problems with a *lot* of bubbles in the mix (more so
with ethanol vs methanol).

Do you have any idea how long the fuel system (VW Rabbit) and injectors
(Toyota Corolla 20lb/hr) will last?  Or any way to prolong their life?

The only thing that has me worried is that the pressure regulator has
developed a squeek under ethanol (test fuel right now b/c our chemistry
department will give it to us; seems to burn roughly the same as the
meth, just more touchy about wrong mixtures), but it doesn't seem to harm
anything.  We have a Triple gauge (oil psi, volts,temp) with the oil
pressure hooked to the fuel line (doubt FSAE will allow this, so we have
1/4NPT plug for the competition), and we haven't seen any funny readings
*yet*.

Any ideas for the bubble problem or prolonging the lifespan?

Thanks!

                Thor Johnson
          johnsont at falcon.cs.mercer.edu
     http://falcon.cs.mercer.edu/~johnsont