WAS 350 chev

dzorde dzorde at geocities.com
Mon Apr 14 14:22:30 GMT 1997

Thanks for the overwhelming response guys, both on and off the list, I won't
reply to everyone since it'll take forever.

What seems to be the main question is the dizzy, it's an old style HEI
dizzy.  In Australia we get the TPI systems imported without the electronic
dizzy, ECU and harness, due to the chances of the electronicis actually
working when it gets here being very minimal (and the system still cost a
bloody fortune).  Thus, the reason for using aftermarket ECU's and the old
style HEI dizzy.  Also I like the simple facility of having a hand
controller to program the ecu while driving (also don't like paying someone
else lots of money to make a new prom), the ecu also provides readout of
temps, engine load throttle position and loads of other parameters.  The ecu
does have timing but I haven't acquired the necessary bits to use it.  It
even has O2 facility for road tuning (not closed loop facility). So if I
can't get the HEI dizzy going properly, I'll have to fork out for the
necessary ecu part to do electronic timing.

Scot, you were spot on with the cylinder heads.  Also, the engine is bored
60thou which makes it a tad bigger.  So I guess that compression ratio could
be around 11-1 or more.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the many inputs, I can see I have a bit of work
to do to sort the beast out before its finally where I want it.  I'm
currently getting between 12mpg and ~30mpg (not US gallon) depending on how
I drive (and where I drive).

Dan     dzorde at geocities.com