esc

Todd King Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com
Thu Apr 17 15:57:49 GMT 1997

  <<<
  Nieghbor came over and wanted help on his 82 Camaro. Local shop told
  him that he need a esc module because timing didn't advance. Module is well
  over $100 at GM, only source. Check timing and found it advances with or
  without module attached. Main symtom appears to be idle varies widely. I
  suspected module is for retarding if pinging is sensed. Can anyone help ? The
  82 has cross fire injection, all simple tune up items have been done. Car does
  pass smog test for calif.
  Thanks Vance

  Typically an esc (electr sprk control vs est- electr sprk timing) module is
  for knock sensor processing and signalling as you describe. You could check it
  by tapping on the block somewhere with a wrench or hammer; if it's working you
  should be able to tell somehow that spark is being pulled (I used a scope and
  my ears/timing light). At least on the GN's all the esc does is some analog
  filtering of the knock sensor, then it pulls the esc signal line to the ECM
  low briefly when knock is detected. Keep in mind that the least reliable part
  (by far) of any electrical/onic system are the connectors and cables. The esc
  line should remain high when knock is not present, again on the GN's but
  probably similar for the Camaro. One caveat is that some of the
  implementations may have a self test process where the ECM briefly adds timing
  until the esc signals knock, then of course pulls timing back to normal. You
  should start by pulling the trouble codes and seeing if an esc error code has
  been set.

  Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com