Electromotive FI

Bruno! b.marzano at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Apr 20 06:09:34 GMT 1997

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, David Doddek wrote:

> One thing that you have to remember about the Haltec and Electro, is how the
> case is made.  With the Haltec, is is a simple matter of taking a few screws
> out and using the chip puller to pop out the hc11 and pop in a new one.  It
> can be done in about 5 minutes and the parts cost about $5.  So Haltec is
> making $45 for 5 minutes work.
> On the other hand, the Electro has a potted case to keep the unit water
> tight.

[stuff about potted boards and removing chips and other stuff deleted]

I've yet to see a ecu placed in the engine bay of a car, which would seem
to me the last place to put one, due to the temperature, and the noise
and whatever physical phenomena i might have missed. The need to open the
case, remove the potting, desolder the chip, put in a new one, put new
potting in seems a major flaw in the computer's design. What happened to
waterproof boxes? Longer wire? with the effort required to do this to an
ecu, you could construct a new one, maybe two.

> I acutually wash mine in the car wash when I wash the engine.

Personally speaking, water and electronics don't mix, even though it
might be potted. I don't want to have a dig at you about your car
cleaning habits. If *you* can, that's great, but i'd rather not.

		Bruno. (b.marzano at student.canberra.edu.au)

	Early to bed, Early to rise
	Makes a man or woman miss out on the night life
						-Morphine