700R transmission help, not EFI

Chief afn14222 at freenet5.afn.org
Mon Apr 21 04:13:37 GMT 1997

At 08:53 PM 4/19/97 -0500, George M. Dailey wrote:
>What's the scoup on fitting the '89 GM 700R tranny with a mechanical
>speedometer drive? I tried to put a HT 350 speedometer mechanism in place of
>the 700R's speed sensor but it will not fit. The devices have the same
>diameter but they have different insertion depths. Will the HT-350 tail
>housing fit on the 700R?

My friend changed my tranny from the TH350 to '93 700R4 and somehow he
adapted the tail-housing on there so my speedo works (although it reads
fast, 70mph is really 55mph).

 One more question. What's the trick on the gear
>shift linkage? The gear shift mechanism has PRND21. The 700R tranny has
>PRN'OD'D21. Please tell me there is a quick and easy solution for this,
>instead of re-engineering the linkage.

I had to change the cable and screw with different brackets.  It was a major
pain in the @SS!  An aftermarket shifter is probably the best bet but I
didn't have the $$$.  Good luck.

Ed Hilker aka "Chief
84'SS - 700R4