O2 Sensor

avos at cochlear.com.au avos at cochlear.com.au
Mon Apr 21 22:37:29 GMT 1997

     Hi everyone,

     I remember reading recently that someone had put something up about O2
     sensors. I don't know much about them, but am thinking of using the O2
     sensor as an input to my boost controller. My understanding is that
     they are used in close-loop mode of most efi systems, but under
     full-open-throttle the efi system enters open-loop mode and they are
     not used for some reason. I assume that the reason for this is because
     they are either too slow, or outside there operating range. Originally
     I was going to use the O2 sensor to detect if I am leaning out so that
     I can lower the boost level to reduce the chance of detonation, but if
     the sensor is unusable with full-open-throttle, I will be unable to do
     this (Please feel free to enlighten me on this fact). Either way, I
     would like to use it as an input to the controller, as I think that it
     would be useful be able to monitor it's output voltage on the LCD
     screen on my controller. Atleast I would be able to manually monitor
     the O2 output voltage in this way. Does anyone know the output voltage
     range of a typical O2 sensor, and what different voltage outputs mean
     so that I can design the amplifier to the ADC? eg. I think that the
     lower the voltage, the leaner the mixture etc.

     Any information that I can get in regards to the O2 sensor would be
     appreciated.

     Adrian
     avos at cochlear.com.au