O2 Sensor

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Wed Apr 23 01:55:45 GMT 1997

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Tom Cloud wrote:

> EGO only accurate at stoich -- useless anywhere else (except for
> some very expensive units -- don't know name (horriba ???)

For those interested, a quick hisory in O2 sensors that can be used to
measure air/fuel in the rich range of interest to those in high
performance area:

	First type: UEGO sensor, manufactured by NTK(Part of NGK) in Japan
	and sold by Horiba here in the US. This sensor is a dual element
	constant current pumping cell and takes a very specialized
	electronics package to give usefull output. Can NOT just measure
	the sensor. Also has the disadvantage of NOT being compatible
	with stock ECM's which expect to see the standard voltaic O2
	sensor. Cost from Horiba here in Ann Arbor, MI is $2400. Widely
	used in the auto industry and works well. Not very tolerant of
	lead for those of us in motorsports. Not usually available from
	NTK in US unless you sign a written statement that you will not
	use for a/f measurement as they have sold a/f rights to Horiba.

	Second Type: LSM-11 sensor manufactured by Bosch and used in their
	high dollar LA-2 wide range meter. Has the advantage of being
	compatible with production ECM's, thus don't have to weld in a 2nd
	sensor bung like with NTK/Horiba unit. Also has advantage of being
	fairly tolerant of lead with reported life of 50 hrs depending
	on lead level. With unleaded fuel, life is very long, depending
	more on abuse from over temperature than anything else.

	LSM-11 sensor is also used in Motec a/f meter and Motec fuel
	injection computers but cost is still high at over $2500.

Recently developed is a wide range meter from Bailey Engineering in
Commerce TWP, Michigan. This is the meter that has been in development
for awhile by DFI, Modern Muscle, etc. It was completed by Bob Bailey
and is now for sale in about the $1100 range, not cheap, but way less
than the Horiba or Motec. It also uses the LSM-11 sensor and has both a
digital display of a/f and a bargraph on front panel. There is a data
output port so a/f can be recorded. For those interested, Bailey
Engineering can be contacted at BAILEY at NETQUEST.COM.

I purchased one and am in the process of having a friend that owns
a racing engine business, checking its calibration against a MOTEC and
against the measured air and fuel flows on dyno.

Frank Parker
fparker at umich.edu
313-429-2819