Radar Scrambling

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu Apr 24 00:28:07 GMT 1997

Steve Ciciora wrote:

> Well, not exactly 'allowed to jam it legally'  (interfering with a law
> enforcement officer, or something like that), but if you built a garage door
> opener that works off a 908nm beem of ir led, 20ns pulses at 1KHz, and could
> demonstrate that that was the primary purpose of your device, and it just so
> happen to jam lidar....
> (specs from memory, I believe the wavelenght is around 900nm.  Have not seen any
> solid state lasers in that range, though :-(

I though lidar used distance measurement and not phase shift.  The best
cheapest
defense would be to replace your fog lights with some lights that where
very
dim in the visable light range, and very dirty in the infrared range,
and point
them similar to how you would point your high beams.  Two fog lights at
50-60w
each should pretty effectively swamp the lidar gun.  Car and Driver did
some
tests and was able to swamp a lidar gun using offroad lights, so using
a infared only light would probably do the same thing without being
noticed
too much, so long as the officers did not check their camaras and
realize that
they had a really bright spot on the camara but not visable to the eyes,
and realized that some camaras can pick near infared energy and that was
causing
his gun to fail.

					Roger Heflin
					rah at horizon.hit.net