Two questions concerning water injection.

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Wed Apr 30 14:41:25 GMT 1997

RE: Water before turbo and intercooler.  A MODEST amount will vaporize and
not recondense (temp/dew point/humidity sort of thing) but since the
intercooler
is designed for dry air flow, any significant amount will separate out.  Be
safe
inject after intercooler if you are going for more than a "Cool Foggy
Morning"
effect. Kind of a guide line - almost every engine works better at 100 per
cent
humidity at the temp and pressure of the valve inlet. Going past that
involves
keeping liquid water entrained in the air flow and you will have separation

problems.

RE STEAM:  The major by-product of gasoline combustion is STEAM - about
2 gallons of water created for every gallon of gasoline burned. Small
amounts
of water will be "lost in the noise" and larger amounts seem to simply
replace
combustion generated steam with water injected steam.

The consensus is that a MODEST amount of water will help ping and knock,
increase the octane of the mixture to allow optimum timing and increase the
charge density, thus being beneficial to allowing the engine to perform
closer to peak. Adding
more seems to become an extremely iffy thing and unless a lot of work is
done
may actually reduce power.

Have fun at the cutting edge of flame warfare.

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>