G-Tech meter

orin at WOLFENET.com orin at WOLFENET.com
Wed Apr 30 20:35:39 GMT 1997

>  Its called the G-Tech Pro. As far as I know, the only sensor it has is the
> accelerometer, and all values are calculated from that. There is a web site,
> http://www.gtechpro.com
> It looks interesting, but I'd really like to see the specs on the
> accelerometer since that would be the best way to tell how accurate it is.
> There are a few
> people on the VW newsgroup who have them, some like it, others complained
> about the errors caused by using it while driving on any sort of incline.

Yes, it will not work on an incline.  The accelerometer cannot tell the
difference between being tilted and an acceleration.  In fact, if reading
g-force, it will read 1.0 if tilted thru 90 deg.

However, I have one and it works well for comparative measurements.  I have
mostly used the horsepower measurement while working on increasing turbo
boost on my car.  It usually reads within a 5 hp range, around 185.
(I did see 198 when I was having a slight overboost problem.)  This doesn't
take drivetrain or aerodynamic losses into consideration of course and
does require an accurate weight of the car.

Orin.