Mazda MECS-II hackers?

Mike Palmer mpalmer at ndigital.com
Wed Aug 6 16:26:46 GMT 1997

James,

> On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Mike Palmer wrote:
>

> > Has anyone ever played around inside a Mazda (Nippon Denso) MECSII
> > PCM from a 1993 or 1994 Mazda (or in my case, Ford - 1994 Probe
> > GT) vehicle?
> >

> HKS offers a few pieces for these engines.  A modified intake, exhaust,
> intercooler, wastegate controler and a chip to go with it.  I can look to
> see if I"ve missed something if you like.  I know this is not what you
> wanted to hear but some of these mods are not 50 state legal so they
> probably go fairly far.  Which means you may not want to play with the EEC.

Actually, the car in question (my 1994 Probe GT) has a normally
aspirated 24V DOHC V6. No turbo...it was the previous generation
GT that  had the turbo.

The engine is a 2.5L unit and is built by Mazda. The car itself is
basically a Mazda MX-6 with Ford bodywork, interior and suspension
tuning. The engine and engine control system is Mazda's MECS-II
system.

I'm "hacking" it more for fun than anything. When I say hacking, I
mean disassembling the program code, determining memory mapping,
peripheral chip functions, logic flow etc. I've already got quite a
bit of the hardware figured out and just wanted to know if anyone
else had been working along the same lines. Lot's of people hack GMs
ALDL (for instance) but I've seen very little discussion of this nice
little ECM.

Thanks for the reply.

- Mike

1994 Probe GT
Leather/PMoonroof/5-speed
"You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll hurl..."