Disable VATS

Terry Martin terry_martin at mindlink.bc.ca
Fri Aug 8 17:05:40 GMT 1997

>Date:    Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:48:43 -0400
>From:    David Goodhue <dgoodhue at LYNX.DAC.NEU.EDU>
>Subject: How can I disable Vats?
>
>My friend just bought a totalled 92 Z28 60K miles 350, (for $300).
>The drivetrain was not hurt in the accident.  The kid who he bought
>it off of, lost the keys to it (probally had to do with drinking and
>driving).  My friend would like to part the car out.  Before he pulls
>the engine he would like to video tape the motor running, but he doesn't
>know if their is an easy way to bypass the VATS. Any susgestions?
>
>Dave
>86 Conv.

The cheapest way is get a 555 timer and clock it at a 50% duty cycle for
the PCM VATS terminal to ground. Have a look at the Mitchell PCM wiring
diagram and trouble shooting the VATS section. It doesn't straight out
say it, but they even draw a little square wave pattern on the diag.,
and tell you the 5v pull-up on the PCM should drop to 2.5v if the VATS
is working.

Or if you want to get real cheap get a little electric motor out of a
kids toy, and put a piece of tape to insulate 1/2 of the shaft. Use that
as an armature and drag a piece of wire on it. You can vary the motor
speed, and when you hit the right pulse rate, away goes the PCM.

I bet nobody ever fiqured a McCullough loop for this :-)

Go fiqure.

Terry