Adjusting Boost

William A Williams bwmsbldr at juno.com
Fri Aug 8 18:48:15 GMT 1997

	Ok here is the story. In general the lower the A/R number of the
turbine side of the turbocharger the sooner the boost comes in. This
number describes (in effect) how much the exhaust is throttled down on
it's way to the turbine wheel. The problem is that the sooner the boost
comes in the quicker it climbs out of sight and most of your exhaust is
going out the waste gate. This holds more back pressure in the exhaust
manifold which isn't good. Like a restrictive exhaust. Rather than an
expensive change in turbos you should look into a slightly improved cam.
This might give you what you need at a lower cost and without the side
effects at higher RPM. Don't let the "guys" get you down. An engineering
friend at DEC in Colorado Springs once told me that her manicurist asked
what she did to her fingernails. There was a stunned silence when she
said " Changed the spark plugs in my Audi!"
             Bill in Boulder     ----  "Engineering as an Art Form" ----