Too good to let go by

Terry Martin terry_martin at mindlink.bc.ca
Mon Aug 11 21:53:32 GMT 1997

steve ravet wrote:

> Well sure, but what about a turbo or supercharger to force the
> original amount of air back in?  sounds like you might have a more
> efficient engine.  The Miller cycle engine makes the power
> decompression stroke longer than the compression stroke by
> intentionally leaving the intake open during part of the compression
> stroke.  That burns less fuel and produces less power, but the engine
> is more efficient overall.  Add a little forced induction to bring
> power levels back up and you are making original power on less gas.
> Mazda put an engine like that into the 929, don't know if they still
> are or not.
>
> just fuel for the fire...
>
> --steve

Why not just a super-charger and leave out the rest of the junk. It's
been amply demonstrated that blowing more charge in gets more rubber.
The point is what you may gain in improved combustion effeciency, you
lose more on weight, loss of volumetric efficiency, and the energy to
drive the magnetron in the first place. The BTU in of any system can be
calculated, and I guarantee with my wife :-) that the BTU energy out is
less. TPI engines are approaching the logistical limit of efficiency,
and until the problem of heat loss is solved, no major improvement is
going to be made. Have a chat with any chief mechanic at the "track". A
turbo is the perfect example.

Terry