fuel filter location

wstrass at eastman.com wstrass at eastman.com
Tue Aug 12 11:22:24 GMT 1997

To: DIY     --INTERNET DIY

From: Wayne Strasser (CED Polymer Development)
*** Resending note of 08/12/97 00:05
Subject: Re: fuel filter location

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Simon Quested wrote:

> This is what I have found out about installing your own efi.....
>
> 1) the fuel pump needs to be as clost to the tank as possible.
Why?

I'm not saying you're wrong.  Just asking.  Is there something about the
way a pump is designed such that it would prefer to push rather than pull?

YES, CAVITATION.  WHEN THE PUMP IS FORCED TO PULL INSTEAD OF PUSH THE
LOCAL PRESSURE FLUCTUATIONS AT THE ROTATING ELEMENT(S) IN THE PUMP DROP
BELOW THE BOILING PRESSURE OF THE GASOLINE.  AT THIS POINT, THE GASOLINE
BEGINS TO VAPORIZE.  OBVIOUSLY THIS CAN CAUSE VAPOR LOCK AND DAMAGE TO
THE PUMP.  THIS PHENOMENON IS EXPONENTIALLY ACCENTUATED WITH INCREASES IN
ATMOSPERIC TEMPERATURES.