fuel filter location

Stuart Baly S.Baly at BoM.GOV.AU
Wed Aug 13 03:35:43 GMT 1997

>A petrol head working for and Air Pollution Station ?? ;-)

Got to give ourselves something to measure...

>Over here you aren't allowed to have the surge tank in the engine bay.

Silly regs. I don't know why not. Maybe they're nervous about having
a pressurised container of fuel in the engine bay.

>What happens once the surge tank is full ?
>I don't know if it is good to a pressurise a surge tank ?
>can anyone on the list enlighten us.....

Hopefully what will happen will be the same as what happens when the
float bowl is full on a carbed vehicle, as far as the mechanical pump
is concerned. The EFI pump will pump the fuel in a loop, so it won't
pressurise the tank. The regulator should still work OK, since the
fuel rail pressure should always be higher than the tank/return line
pressure.

>This is what I'm doing.......
>Low pressure pump feeding the surge tank (in the boot), efi pump
>feeding fuel rail (from ST), out from regulator going back to surge
>tank, surge tank over flow going back to tank, Fuel tank vented to
>atmosphere. This should give good pressure regulation and no pressure
>build up in the ST.

It's a better setup than my plan, but I'm too cheap (and more
importantly, too lazy) to do it.

Cheers,

Stuart "environmentally hostile" Baly.
Stuart Baly (s.baly at bom.gov.au)
Technical Officer
Cape Grim Baseline Air Pollution Station
'71 Datsun 510, '81 Yamaha RD350LC, '89 Kawasaki GPz900R