Reality of Fuel Consumption

wstrass at eastman.com wstrass at eastman.com
Wed Aug 13 17:01:51 GMT 1997

To: DIY     --INTERNET DIY

From: Wayne Strasser (CED Polymer Development)
*** Resending note of 08/13/97 10:45
Subject: Re: Reality of Fuel Consumption
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:05:18 GMT
To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
From: clsnyde at ibm.net (Clare Snyder)
Sender: owner-diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu

>At 02:16 AM 8/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>1. Until Columbus, the world was flat, not round.
>
>Actually, there where a whole lot of people who thought the world was
>round way before Columbus!  Heck, in the bible Christ says "In the day
>in which I come........  In the night in which I come....."  That was
>just a bit before Columbus, don't you think?
>
>>4. Certain purpose-built automobiles have broken the 300MPH bracket.
>
>Actually, certain purpose-built automobiles have gotten right up to the
>speed of sound!
>
>>5. Stealth fighers exist. (we think).
>
>They are not fighters, but light bombers.  Unless you count the F-22.
>
>>6. Helicopters can fly straight up, with the rotor assembly held on by a
>>single grade 5 aircraft nut. (okay, a big one)
>

>>And while we don't have 100MPG cars, the technology is right around the
>>corner.  Advanced materials are constantly being developed, new ideas form,
>>people think.  The Wankel engine was a fantastic example of a new idea.  No
>>pistons.  Piston engines have been around since 1903.  Its 1997.  Its time
>>for a new idea folks.
>
>Uh, the Wankel DOES have pistons.  They just aren't round!  But they are
>pistons
>by any measure.  As for 100MPG cars, they are going to be itty bitty tiny
>things
>unless someone figures out a good way around the laws of thermodynamics.  I'm
>definitely not going to hold my breath waiting on that on!  Now me, I
>personally
>would like to see a vehicle that ran on the background cosmic energy!  That
>would
>be interesting!
>
>Clint
>
>PS:  Sorry folks, just couldn't help but add my $0.01 worth.

IF you could capture ALL of the heat energy known to exist in a gallon of
gasoline, and get it ALL to the wheels, 100MPG would not be such a stretch.
A low-tech Austin Mini 850 from the very early 60's was capable of in excess
of 50 MPG. That engine is only about 30% efficient, by common knowlege. With
heat rejection coatings, fuel injection, full engine management, and
turbocharging, possibly a bit of ceramic componentry to allow higher
temperatures, it should be do-able. 100 MPG from a behemoth like a 61
Cadilac IS a stretch.>