Adjusting Boost

Bill Bradley senator at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Aug 13 18:30:49 GMT 1997

> Good point Bill....Yes I'll connect the boost meter to the intake manifold. BTW
> I was told that I should insert an orifice before the T-joint at the VBC. Why?
> What does this orifice do? Is venting the pressure to the PCV ok?

	I don't know about the set up on your car, but on mine (Volvo 245Turbo)
, the PCV is connected to the intake before the Turbo.  I wouldn't hook up
the bleed to the PCV on mine since the hose is always at less than atmospheric
pressure, and the higher the air flow, the LOWER the pressure, so the amount
of pressure bled would depend on the engine RPM and boost level, not a
great situation to set a stable boost level(although it would let you have
a load dependant boost control, higher boost at higher flow rates, but
I'd be more worried about overboosting)

	Don't worry about venting to the atmosphere, the hose to the wastegate
is never under vacuum (It's ahead of the throttle body), and at low boost
the oxygen sensor will correct for the (ever so slight) extra richness in the
mixture, and at WOT, who cares?<grin>

	Bill