Reality of Fuel Consumption

barry coleman fvoho at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:04:12 GMT 1997

Tom, et. al,
    The system that you described is available now.  Look at GM's TBI
from a late '80s truck, or the Holley or Edelbrock copies.  They are
basicly the same thing (just quadruple the price for the packaging and
ease of adjustments).  I mean the EFI system from an '89, or '93 even
350/454ci V8 should flow decent amounts of air and fuel for just about
any project.  The harness is available from almost any junkyard, or they
can be bought new from GM or Summit.  We know that the ECMs must be
easier to program than many VCRs due to the fact that aftermarket chips
are less than $100 US, and that there is at LEAST one place on the web
where you can buy a complete system to reprogram the PROMS (less than
$400 US).  The TBI system is the best of both worlds (tunability, and
economy), but SEFI blows it away (once the secrets of the box are
revealed...).    Just a thought.

       *snip*
>I think it was George on this list (mebbe I'm wrong) that
>  seemed to share my feelings on this .... I'd think a TBI
>  (or CPI, as Ford calls it) with MAF would be the "end-all
>  to be-all".  I know of no one who's done this, but it would
> allow the use of current carb intake manifolds, and would
>  be self-adjusting.  I know that the window for this is small,
>  only encompassing pre-efi cars, but there's still lots
>  of them out there that probably would convert if the price
>  were right -- esp if they could have the economy and reliability
> of efi with the big PLUS of better emissions control.

>  Tom Cloud

Barry Coleman        a 351C w/SEFI...why didn't Ford think of that?
fvoho at hotmail.com