Reality of Fuel Consumption

wstrass at eastman.com wstrass at eastman.com
Thu Aug 14 11:52:17 GMT 1997

To: DIY     --INTERNET DIY

From: Wayne Strasser (CED Polymer Development)
*** Resending note of 08/13/97 21:04
Subject: Re: Reality of Fuel Consumption

>YOU CAN NEVER CAPTURE ALL OF THE ENERGY IN THE COVALENT PI AND SIGMA BONDS
>IN GASOLINE...EVER HEARD OF A"CARNOT"ENGINE (ISENTROPIC, REVERSIBLE PROCESS)?

We are not talking the theoretical heat value of gasoline, just the actual,
available, proven heat value available from burning gasoline in proper
concentrations with atmospheric oxygen under controlled pressure. I do not
have the figures for gasoline handy, but for #2 fuel oil it is .135 million
btu/us gallon.or 11.5 us gallons per million btus.
In an atmospheric burner in a furnace, 65% of this heat is recoverable. With
a flame retention head in the same furnace, close to 80% is recoverable.
This is the difference in technology, and if a heat engine could attain 80
to 85% heat utilization, we could go 100 Miles per gallon, even with the
itty bitty US gallon.

AN ATMOSPHERIC BURNER HAS NO MOVING PARTS.  A CARNOT ENGINE CANNOT EVEN REACH
85% UTILIZATION OF ALL "ACTUAL AVAILABLE, PROVEN HEAT VALUE AVAILABLE FROM BURN
ING GASOLINE VAPOR IN PROPER CONCENTRATIONS..."