TPI Questions

dzorde dzorde at geocities.com
Mon Aug 18 13:34:03 GMT 1997

George,

6 deg is not bad on 87 octane, on leaded (96 octane) I can't run anymore
than 3 deg (allowing for small safety margin) without the engine starting to
ping (well, sound like a machine gun).  With the avgas (BP100) I can safely
run 6 deg.  Mind you I'm not using the standard ecu, so there's no knock
sensing or retard facility, hence it's critical that I leave a safety margin
as well.  However, I had come to the conclusion the pinging was mainly due
to the extremely high compression the engine has (between 220psi and 240psi
per cylinder).

In fact, I can run 10 deg static if I don't load the engine heavily, ie.
stay below 2500rpm in all gears.  Which is fine for city driving (less than
80kph), but you can't put your foot down at all.

Dan     dzorde at geocities.com.au