Holley efi (model 502 analog system)

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 22 13:14:12 GMT 1997

I wrote:

>> I've heard that a standard Bosch injector works but I don't
>> know if that's true or what part number.  If someone knows any
>> more info on this, please let me know (I need one yesterday !!).
>>
>> The injector measures 1.8 ohms resistance (well, the other one
>> measured 7.4 ohms, 332 ohms, 1.5 ohms, open circuit, etc, etc)

and Ken replied:

>I had the same problem when I got my Holley 502-1 system some years ago.
>One of the injectors wouldn't fire at all, and had different readings
>when I tried to measure the resistance with a multimeter.
>
>You should check the soldering on the connecting pins on both
>injectors. The connecting pins on the injector have a
>small (copper I presume) wire inside of a metallic tube (~1 mm).
>The fabric soldering on one connector pin didn't have good contact with the
>wire inside. So the fix was simply to use a small file on the tip
>of the connector pin tube, and resolder each pin.
>I did this for all connector pins just to be sure :-).
>This was back in 1993, and the injectors  have worked fine since.
>
>I also had a stuck open injector later on, but that was due to a
>defect ECU (that Holley replaced without charge). It was a quite amazing
>experience :-( , beleive me. You drive normally and suddendly one injector
>stick open, the engine bogs and finally stops, and when you switch off the
>ignition and check under the hood, it is gas everywhere.
>I later found the reason, Because the injectors on a TBI are placed above
>the throttle plates, and you let off the foot when the engine
>dies, but wait a bit before you switch of the igition (and the pump),
>the gas fills up and float around on a hot engine. I think I did this
>test run without an air filter too, and this helped of course :-).
>

>//// Ken-Arne Jensen

dang it Ken, I thought I was real smart last night when I
examined the injector under a magnifier and determined that
there was a hollow tube (actually .062" or about 1/16" --
I'm still "American"  ;-)      ..... with a small wire
sticking out the end.  When I put my ohmmeter on the outer
tube and jiggled the inner wire, I determined that it was
making intermittent contact -- so I soldered them together.
Did both injectors (just like you  8-)

Am driving the beast this morning -- actually seems to be
running better than ever.  I think it really is, not my
imagination -- think the intermittent has been bedeviling
me for some time.  I hope that's why I've never been able
to get it working consistently.

BTW, do you still have the 502?

Tom Cloud

     I took an IQ test and the results were negative