BOSCH stuff

Steve Meade smeade at deltanet.com
Fri Aug 22 19:57:23 GMT 1997

	I have a bit of Bosch FI confusion. Porsche refers to the engine
management system in my 944 as being Digital Motor Electronics. I thought
that this pretty much translated into Motronic for all practical purposes.
Then, I bought a Haynes manual for my car which says I have an L-Jetronic
fuel injection system controlled by Digital Engine Electronics. To confuse
matters even more, a Porsche site (non factory)  proclaims me as having a
JE-Jetronic system. This morning, I took apart part of the floor and got to
the ECU to see exactly what it said. It is the familar "tab-cover" box with
"Motronic" embossed in the case. I looked at the number on the box and it
started with "261" the same as on my '87 BMW 325is with Motronic 1.1.

	Can any body shed some light on this subject? The car has an idle-air
stabilizer valve just like my BMW and there are no signs anywhere of a
separate idle controller so I think I may have Motronic 1.1. The connector
on the box also looked like a double-row connector on the Motronic 1.1
boxes.

	Also, does anyone know the exact differences between JE-Jetronic,
Jetronic, and Motronic? I know Motronic handles ignition as well but what
about JE-jetronic? I've never seen that variant before.

Steve Meade
smeade at deltanet.com