TPI Questions

Greg Abarr greg at sonetcom.com
Sat Aug 23 00:26:20 GMT 1997

----------
From: Bill Bradley <senator at ugcs.caltech.edu>
To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: TPI Questions
Date: Friday, August 22, 1997 3:01 PM

> > Bear in mind that water or water/methanol injection will exert a
powerful
> > cooling effect on the mixture rather than merely diluting the mixture
> > with hot, inert, gasses.
> > Bill in Boulder   "Engineering as an Art Form"
>
> Hey, that's my idea. :-) Unfortunately you have to alter the air intake
> to compensate for the fuel displacement if water is injected, and
> methanol has a lower available btu, not to mention air/fuel ratio
> compared to gas.

	Nope.  The water or methanol replaces AIR, not fuel.  The mixture
goes rich running water or water-alcohol injection. Unless you're still
running closed loop with the Oxygen sensor which will try to bring it
back to stoic.

> it to drive a cooling unit, (like a propane fridge principle), to cool
> the air, and then jam as much air directly into the injector stream as
> possible. The rest of the air charge requirement is sucked up normally
> on the intake.

	I've considered the idea of a heat powered heat pump as a killer
intercooler design.  The drawbacks are that there are two common designs,
one uses Hydrogen gas and Ammonia (not that namby-pamby 2.5% stuff that you
use to clean things, REAL concentrated toxic, corrosive ammonia).  The
other
system uses water and lithium bromide salt, much nicer, but has the
annoying
habit of freezing when it gets cold...  Both systems also dump more heat
OUT
than you put in, so you have to have a decent cooling system for it as
well.

	Bill

diy_efi unscribe   greg at sonetcom.com
 Sir:
I am going away for 2 to 3 months and i need to stop all my e\mail groups
Thank you
Greg Abarr