EFI

Christopher G. Moog cgmoog at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 24 23:36:47 GMT 1997

Terry Martin wrote:

> Robert Harris wrote:
> > The more oxygen a fuel contains - the lower the power
> > density of the fuel, and the more of the fuel you have to
> > burn to make the same level of power.

Any hydrocarbon based fuel with oxygen has already been partially
combusted.  Methanol is partially burned methane.

I think what Terry is asking is, is there a way to get additional oxygen
into the combustion chamber?  If so the standard ways of doing this is
Nitrious Oxide (NO).  When released from its pressurized bottle NO
disassociates and forms N2 and O2.  Since the amount of nitrogen is
equal to the amount of oxygen more power can be made (remember air is
21% oxygen not the 50% contained in NO) this allows an engine operating
with NO to make more power (twice as much if only NO and no air is
used).  Straight oxygen is not used for several reasons, the power
levels would be too high melting pistons; and more imporantly a fuel
pure oxgen mixture would be extremely easy to ignite causing intake
explosions.  Another way of increasing oxygen is to use other nitrogen
bonded oxygen containing compounds such as nitro-methane (CH3NO2).  Here
the extra oxygen is released as the mixture is compressed resulting is
additional power since high fuel to air ratios can be used.

Now lets get back to EFI systems.