Coil-on-Plug Systems

Johnny johnny at johnny-enterprises.com
Tue Aug 26 05:38:35 GMT 1997

Bill Jenkins wrote:

> >Terry Hartman wrote:
> >
> >> Get up to date by checking out the new LS1 in the '97+ Corvette and the '98
> >> F-body (Firebird & Camaro) cars....
> >
> >Speaking of '98 F-body, do you know if they are offering a 90 degree V6
> >with aluminum heads? I mean the Vortec, or 4.3L or whatever you want to
> >call it, but with a new set of heads and sequential injection like it's
> >big brother?
> >

>   I've read that when the 1999 Chevrolet full-size pickup is introduced, it
> will have a cast-iron version of the LS1; simultaneously the 90-degree
> "Vortec" V-6 will be re-engineered with LS1-like components, but it will
> still be cast-iron head.

To let the cat out of the bag a bit more, I am desperately looking for a
source for aluminum heads for Vortec V6. Chev used to make 3 different
sets. 2 that were mild and 1 that was crazy with huge ports and canted
valves. They have discontinued all but the full race ones which are too
large of volumes for what I need and don't accept the standard
manifolds.

I had heard that Edelbrock had done some preliminary design work for a
"Performer RPM" series head for this engine, but had never completed it.
I called and talked to Vic Jr. last week and he confirmed that one of
the engineers had done some drawings but "we are not working on it at
the present time". I begged and pleaded, and even brought up the fact
that tooling would be a cinch because of the likeness to the SBC head in
ports, valve placement, chamber, stud placement, accessory holes, etc.,
but I couldn't get him to budge. They want to sell 400-500 sets a year,
and he doesn't think the market is there, even though they have had
other calls like mine asking about it.

Does anyone know of another source for aluminum heads for this engine?
The desire for aluminum is strictly from a weight standpoint. I need to
lose the 40-50 pound difference that they make. I had heard that the new
F-body was going to use the 4.3 revamped with aluminum heads, but I have
not been able to get the various dealers to confirm or deny this yet.
What does the 500 or so people on diy_efi know about it? And, does
anyone have some of the earlier set from chev laying around that they
want to sell?

I know this ain't the chev list, but it's for an efi conversion setup.

-j-