cranking ignition

Todd King Todd_King at ccm2.jf.intel.com
Tue Aug 26 20:37:23 GMT 1997

     <<<
     Does anyone know how the ignition timing is done on distributorless
     ignition systems when cranking the engine? How is the ignition timed
     when
     the crank is not turning over at constant revs   >>>

     Well on the GN's there is an EST module "bypass" mode for starting;
     the timing is fixed at some hardwired value until the rpm exceeds 400
     or so, where the timing duties are then handed over to the ECM. The
     crank sensor works with a cam position sensor to determine phase.
     Crank rpm is never totally "constant", nor does it need to be.

     <<<
          Superchips: I'm worried when they say on their web site, "We can
     make a chip for any car in a couple of hours."   >>>

     You are right to be wary here; I hear that these fine folks were the
     proprieters of a real chip "scam" that came to light several years
     ago; something about selling a power chip for a Nissan turbo that was
     totally stock with a Stuperchips decal on it. The only power increase
     came from a cheapo boost bleeder valve sold with it.

     Todd       tking at scic.intel.com