Microcontrollers used in OEM systems

Mike Palmer mpalmer at ndigital.com
Wed Aug 27 16:44:40 GMT 1997

> Date:          Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:07:49 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          "Michael T. Kasimirsky" <mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu>
> Subject:       Microcontrollers used in OEM systems

> Hey everyone,
>
> I realize this isn't really a "true" DIY-EFI question, but I'm hoping
> someone out there with experience digging into OEM systems can give me
> some help.  Does anyone know what GM and Ford use for "brains" in their
> engine management hardware?
>
> I'm trying to talk my boss into letting me attend a few microprocessor
> classes and the classes use Motorola 6811 microcontrollers.  It would help
> the arguement if Ford, and particularly GM, used a variant of this puppy
> in their systems.  Email please, since I don't think the general list
> will be interested in the answer to this one.  Thanks in advance for the
> help and I apologise for the wasted bandwidth.

GM has definitely used 'HC11-cores in their P4s. My 2.5L Ford Probe
GT with a NipponDenso  PCM also uses an HC11 core. They are
extensively reworked mind you - they could almost be termed ASICs.

Ford I believe has used Intel parts in their EEC systems.

On this note, anybody ever figured out what some of the registers in
the HC11 at $1040 and above are used for? How about those regs at,
say, $1001 or $1006 etc that are mysteriously labelled "reserved"
in the data sheets. Are these register locations left to the
discretion of the Delcos and the NDs of the world to do as they
please or is there a universal functionality associated with them?

- Mike

1994 Probe GT
Leather/PMoonroof/5-speed
"You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll hurl..."