Microcontrollers used in OEM systems

Mike Palmer mpalmer at ndigital.com
Thu Aug 28 12:30:00 GMT 1997

> From:          Matt Sale <mds at mot.delcoelect.com>
> Subject:       Re: Microcontrollers used in OEM systems
>
> Actually, when you spread the cost over several million parts
> per year, it makes quite a bit of sense to spend the extra time
> effort and money to create a custom derivative.  Remember too

<*snip*>

> isn't free (despite what Mickeysoft thinks).  Adding parts to
> boards to get functions that can be up-integrated wastes board
> space and incurs extra costs for the additional parts.

Your point is well taken. Mind you, the P4 ECM PCB looks like it's
got plenty of room for more stuff...it's not dense at all :)

> You'd be amazed at how many 68300 family and TI parts we've
> commissioned, I know I am.  Every electronic box in a car has
> a micro, or so it seems.  The radio, ABS, air-bag, remote
> keyless entry, instrument cluster, HVAC control, and ECM
> each gets its own micro, at least in the high-end cars.  Each
> box has a unique set of requirements, and a price/value.

So the beancounter legend is real!...I thought that was just an old
wives tale: "If you can save $0.02, make it so!"

But seriously, the HC11 as it comes from Motorola can be had with an
8-channel A/D converter and SCI built in. Why then does the P4 seem
to require a separate UART device and separate A/D converters?  If
cost minimalization was paramount, surely a few cheesy signal
conditioners (a few op amps, caps and resistors) would have been
cheaper than spreading block functionality (i.e. SCI, A/D etc) around
the board in separate chunks of silicon and the effort required to
route the PCB and place the parts...

...well, of course it wasn't, otherwise the (what I imagine were)
extensive cost analysis studies undertaken be GM/Delco as to the unit
cost of, say, a P4 would have fleshed this out.

This is quite fascinating and I thank you for taking the time.

- Mike

1994 Probe GT
Leather/PMoonroof/5-speed
"You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll hurl..."