Back pressure and torque

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Thu Aug 28 16:10:17 GMT 1997

I DID go to the books.  Back pressure (and flow) effects the exhaust
temperature.  The exhaust temperature of a free flowing exhaust can have
an effect on the O2 sensor, since most depend on the exhaust to heat
them up into their operating range.  I have consistently had troubles
with cars with header systems not going into closed loop, simply because
the O2 sensor didn't get hot enough.  That is why I now install
electrically heated O2 sensors on cars with headers.