injector bosses

Corey L. Cole corey.l.cole at boeing.com
Fri Aug 29 16:04:00 GMT 1997

Seth wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, James Weiler wrote:
[snip]
> > Welding (I've been told) will distort the manifold too much.  What
> > about bolting it to a pair of heads prior to welding?  Ideas anybody?
> > I've heard alot of people have epoxied them in place but I worry about
> > the durability of the epoxy.  How long will it take for gas to break it
> > down is one of my concerns.  I don't know but epoxy just sounds Mickey
> > Mouse.  Am I way out of line here?
[more snip]
> I welded mine.  Lots of heat.  About 250 amperes worth for about 24
> linear inches of weld.  I drilled all the bosses is a chunk of 0.75 by
> 1.00 inch aluminum.  That keeps the centers consistent. Welding shouldn't
> be a big deal, if you warp the mounting surface, it should be minimal
> ,and a dust off on a belt sander should fix that, of if you want to get
> trick, a flycut on a mill.  The intake gets hot for the use of DGEBA
> (room temp) epoxies with the usual amine curing agent.  A pre-preg epoxy
> for use and cure at elevated temp should be fine.  One I use cures for 1
> hr at 325 F.  We use the stuff on several different intake parts.

I haven't heard anyone mention the use of silver solder yet.  IIRC, it's
pretty strong, very little heat xfered into the work, and pretty common.
I can't say that I've used it for this, but it seems to me that this is yet
another way to skin this cat.

Corey L. Cole                     | I was standing on the side of the road,
 M/S 19-HH                        |   rain falling on my shoe.
 E-mail: corey.l.cole at boeing.com  | I was heading for the east coast,
 Phone: 206-662-3596              |   Lord knows I've paid some dues.