injector bosses

Garfield garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Fri Aug 29 21:49:21 GMT 1997

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:13:55 -0500, Tom Cloud
<cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu> wrote:

>A *true* epoxy will cure faster and harder when heat is applied
>(remember, it's a plastic, so it has an upper limit where it's
>damaged or destroyed .... I forget, but I think it's near 300 F).

Ooops, careful there. MOST of the commercial epoxys have transition
temps Tg below 200deg F, some used in aircraft building are around
150degF hence most all the composite planes being painted white!!, so
the advice someone else gave for trying to locate a higher temp epoxy
like those used in prepregs is exactamundo spot on. Generally, if the
epoxy cures at room temps, then it's Tg isn't gonna be more than 100degF
above that.

OTOH, it's not THAT hard to find higher temp epoxies. What you want is
an epoxy you heat to around 200degF to cure, and it will have a Tg
around 300-350degF. Ciba Adhesives makes a couple; I'll try and track
down part numbers and suppliers for for the list. OK?

And as to your surmisals based on plastics/temps of the wiring &
housings, these are NOT usually epoxies. Trust me, contrary to your
experiential coffee-pot evidence, generic epoxies are NOT to be relied
upon in this application, but "high temp epoxy adhesives" especially the
aluminum-filled varieties, would be ideal. I'll see what I can find and
report back.

Garfield