Vaccum advance tap points

Tony Bryant Tony.Bryant at psc.fp.co.nz
Tue Dec 2 21:10:56 GMT 1997

I'm attempting to work out the operation of the
vaccum advance system on my '85 Jag V12, both for
diagnostics, and a possible future crank triggered
ignition project.

This system has 3 tap points, connected to an
bewildering array of soleniod change over
valves, vaccum regulators, delay valves, and dump valves.

Pickup point 1: Side of plenum chamber

This one I fully understand - its just straight
manifold vaccum - which is the "inverse" of MAP
which is basically proportional to volumetric effeciency.

Pickup point 2: Small drilling to edge of throttle plate

This one I'm a little hazy on. I assume it is effectively
a venturi tap, giving a vaccum spike when the throttle plate
is first opened a little bit. Can anybody enlighten me?

Pickup point 3: Larger drilling to just 1/2" down stream of throttle
plate edge

When the throttle plate is closed this one must produce manifold
vaccum. When throttle plate is open about 1/3" the edge of the
throttle plate aligns with this port. Possibly causing operation on
the same principle as #2? Any ideas?

'71 510 Daily driver
'72 510 Race car
'85 V12 XJ-S Garage ornament