Ignition question

Kevin_Swanson at cpr.ca Kevin_Swanson at cpr.ca
Mon Dec 8 19:17:28 GMT 1997

I suspect that the problem lies in the generation of the 200-300 volts
that you are looking for.  In order to do that you end up using a
transformer connected to a high frequency source.  This does indeed produce
a high voltage but with insufficient current to do any real work (like
firing a plug).  If you didn't store up any charge you would end up with
the same VA rating on the high voltage side of your circuit, minus some
losses; remember conservation of energy?  All that has to be done is to
rectify the high voltage AC signal to DC and store it (enter the
Capacitor). Then you can reliably fire the plugs.

In short:  Running the high voltage output directly through the coil
would not result in any smoke...  But no fire either.

  -- But this is just off the top of my head.