GM ALDL interface

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Thu Dec 11 19:29:24 GMT 1997

>by simply shorting the A and B terminals on the ALDL and then just
>watching
>the 'Check Engine' Light?

The program takes any and everything dumped out by the ECM, and imports it
through the parallel port into the PC.  Start up codes, errors on the
sensors, all that stuff.

Yes, but then you have to look at the blinking light and count the flashes
to determine what code it is.  Not a bad thing, but it requires patience
and counting skills (I prefer the PC to do it <G>).

>Or is this what the program does and because it wasn't connected to
>anything
>it just did not have anything to report.

Yes, I believe it does.  I did a 10 minute test, and haven't really played
with it since then.  I was elated to see codes and then dumped everything
back on the floor and worked on another project. (Dial-Up Webserver)

>Also, I believe you said you added a line of code, Frederick.  What did
>you need to add to the program?

There was one line that determines the delay in reading the next set of
data byte, I just decreased that value from 99 I believe down to something
like 52.

>on the screen).  Any volunteers for the more difficult part of the
>program?

Sean - another volunteer :)

Thanks for volunteering Chris :)

Frederic Breitwieser