EFI questions

Steve N sgn1 at ra.msstate.edu
Mon Dec 22 01:33:02 GMT 1997

Well, in efforts to try and gain an overall view of the production EFI
picture I wanted to ask some questions.

>From what I have gathered on this list, both GM and Ford have their very
own in house desgin EFI systems for their cars.  But at the same time,
it seems that Bosch is the key player in the EFI world, producing many
efi compoents along with their revolutionary EFI systems.  Now am I
right in saying that most all of the other manufactures use Bosch
systems?  Or is that totally wrong, and most major manufactures have
their own in house system?  Or is a combination of the two, where some
systems could be Bosch derivatives.  I will be buying the Bosch EFI book
shortly feeling that it will help.  I also have a Toyota MR2 from which
I have been told has a bosch EFI unit.  Is that right?

Another question:  My dad just currently purchased an 84 Chevy Caprice
which I have been told is a has a 3.8L V6 carburated engine.  But I have
also been told that the computer currently registers error codes.  Now,
if the engine is carburated, what is the computer controlling?  I
thought that computer control for cars was for fuel delivery, and
ignition.(aka engine managment)  Does it control emissions components?
Or was I told wrong in that it is a carburated engine?

Thanks All!
Steve N.