CR Ratio ?

Tony Cooper tony.cooper at virgin.net
Tue Dec 23 18:22:35 GMT 1997

Steve Leonard wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Some suggestions:
>  A)For a street ridden engine, change compression to
> 9:1.

Its about what I thought...

> B)If you don't have turbo cams, factory 1982-83
> GPZ1100 cams are perfect for these turbo engines.

I am using the Z1000 cams, as they are less overlap than standard, and
degreed inlet as standard, with exhaust 5 degrees retarded...

> C)either way, degree the cam shafts to 104 intake and
> 107 exhaust centerlines.

Taaa

> D)The best money you can spend is getting a DYNA 4000
> high output ignition, It is designed for these ole'
> Kaw motors.

We have designed our own engine management - makes Dyna ignition look
somwhat inadequate....

> E)These 2-valve Kawasaki's really respond well to
> having the head dual plugged. If you do, you can set
> your ignition timing to 32 degree's instead of 38
> degrees.

True, but don't want to give anything away in looks from the top of the
engine (Could mount a plug horizontally in the head though....hehehehehe

> F)make sure you have Heavy duty oil pump gears
> installed, these air cooled engines don't have much
> oil pressure.

As far as I know the GPZ doesn't have anybody that makes extended gears
for the oil pump - sufficiently so that I have got an external oil pump
on the end of the crank for the turbo....

> G)If your running 10lbs boost, you are making some
> great HP, for safety you should have a APE engine
> case reinforcement kit, it stops the crankshaft
> runout problems these Kawasaki's have.

Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that one....

> H)If you have Z-1 cases you should get that 2nd gear
> overshift bushing.

Nope...

> Let me know if you need contacts for these parts. I
> have a 1327cc GS1100 that I'm turboing also,I keep
> you updated.

For the oil pump gears I would love a contact thank you. Happy
christmas....

Tony
--
Sent By Tony Cooper.
email: tony.cooper at virgin.net
Allow at least 10 working minutes for reply. ;)